Monday, April 2, 2012

Excited!

Excited because this is my first blog post, and also excited because yesterday I was featured in the Newsday newspaper.


New here? Not sure who who I am?  You can look me up at www.antonyscully.com


Here's the feature.










































It gives a fair idea of who I am, and why I'm a photographer.
The interview included more questions, and some more images. Apparently I'm too much for mainstream media, so they were omitted, but they're here for all to see :)


Art & Soul
featuring Antony Scully


Could you tell me a bit about yourself? Who is Antony Scully?

I’m often described as a “nice-guy”. Family and friends mean a lot to me and I’m terribly passionate about photography - it’s an enormous part of my life. I’m very inquisitive and I’m not one to settle for not knowing the whys and hows. This trait compliments my persistence; when I’m focused, very little can stop me. I’m a work in progress; whatever I was satisfied with last week, isn’t good enough for tomorrow. (I inherited this from my father.) I consider myself a realist, though sometimes I’ve been told I can be painfully optimistic. I love life and I live by my family’s motto “Sin Labe Resurgens” – To rise without dishonour .



What made you decide to get into Photography?

Though I grew up around cameras, lenses, film and a darkroom, I didn’t pick up my father’s hobby until sometime in 2006 when I was asked to take some photos at my last job. I did what I could, and received positive feedback and some tips on composition from my then boss, Brian Mac Farlane. I never looked back, and had no idea that my work in lighting design would eventually strongly influence my newfound hobby.  I soon bought my first DSLR camera, then my wife gave me a lens for my birthday. This was fast becoming an expensive pastime. My job now found me capturing elaborate wedding decors, and the beauty of carnival. It was time for my photography to start generating returns. Enrolling in the UWI Open Campus Level 2 class was eye-opening. I quickly realised that I was taking average photos of extraordinary things, when I should have been aiming to make extraordinary photos of ordinary things. I learned lots about the roots of photography, art, and the qualities of light. That’s when it clicked.



What is a typical day in the life of Antony Scully?


A typical day? Lol
I have few of those. Every day’s an adventure. Something new to do, somewhere new to go, new people to meet, and most times try some new technique or gear.
Some days start at 3am (not many), others at 11. Then they can vary from all-day shoots to hours behind the computer, post-processing, filing, billing and printing.
They’re often punctuated with fabulous lunch or dinner breaks. I work alongside some amazing photographers who are also foodies, so we treat ourselves. It’s not uncommon to see a shoot start up at our table as soon as food is served, as we’re all very passionate about what we do.




Who have been your role models or the people you look up to?


Desmond Clarke, one of our veteran photographers, who taught me the subtleties and nuances of photography as an art. One of my harshest, most valued critics who forces me to question my identity as a photographer, and what I bring to a picture.

Tony Corbell, an internationally recognised photographer, and one of the most humble, generous people I have ever met. If I could achieve half of what he has, and still share and teach the way he does, I would be very satisfied.
There are many, many others who have influenced both my craft, and my life: Curtis Khan, Butch Limchoy, Sarita Rampersad, Doug Gordon, and my wife Kerlene.


What do you think about the state of the photography industry today?


Having been intimately involved in the profession for a mere 3 years, I don’t have a lot with which to compare today’s state, however I have witnessed changes, which I have discussed with some of photography’s veterans here and abroad.
Photography, though ever-evolving is once again at a monumental point. Similar points came about in the 1930’s with 35mm film, 60’s with Polaroid film, and in the 90’s with the advent of digital photography.
The technology is taking a huge turn, equipment has become more affordable, information is much more readily available, and cameras are being incorporated into our everyday devices.
That said, I think photography today is more competitive than ever. Much of the mystery and magic has been replaced with digital manipulation, as well as contemporary styles being very forgiving. In my opinion, this still does not make it difficult for a great photographer to stand out. Photography is as much an art as it is a science, and simply mastering the technical aspects without putting your heart into it won’t result in moving imagery.


What difficulties do you face in your job? What has been your greatest challenge?

Balance. Trying to achieve balance has been my greatest challenge. Our market is heavily influenced by North America. Clients often ask for styles or effects that require special equipment, or techniques. The costs attached to these styles is often out of sync with the clients’ budgets. Some professionals complain that moonlighting amateurs continue to bring the value of the industry down. I don’t subscribe to this. I believe there’s a distinct difference in product delivered. If a client decides to hire an amateur for pennies, then that was never my client in the first place.





What has been your biggest achievement?
I have three.
Four years ago, I started Phototrini.com, an online community for photographers with the goal of promoting the sharing of ideas, critiques and information.  The community is still growing, and has been instrumental in building a photography network.

Over the last three years, I have been able to host workshops featuring international photographers right here in Trinidad. In my opinion, being able to bring this standard of training to our shores can only improve the quality of local photography and keep the industry competitive.And last but not least, being able to survive successfully into my third year as a professional photographer. This is a huge achievement for me because the market is very competitive, and clients’ needs are evolving every day.




What advice do you have for young persons interested in getting into photography? Especially young women.

I give this advice all the time. Start where you can afford, and start NOW. Don’t wait until you can afford the latest and greatest gear. The equipment doesn’t make the image. It’s the person behind the camera. Once that hurdle is overcome, lose your ego, and open your mind. Information abounds online, in books, in courses. Educate yourself, there’s a lot to learn about making a great image, and you’ll never stop learning.

Finally, after building a foundation on learning the fundamentals, find your style and make it your own. Still keep an open mind for criticism, but find your niche.



What do you do for fun?

For fun, I wake up to another “typical day” (see question 3)
I love what I do, and I surround myself with wonderful, supportive people. I don’t have a “job”



What is your own definition of happiness?

My definition of happiness is dynamic. There’s no fixed set of conditions that will determine my happiness. Life has taught me to roll with the punches and find contentment wherever I may be. If I’m content, I’m happy



What 3 words would you use to describe yourself?

Witty, Innovative, Warm (read HOT!)


If we look in your CD or DVD collection, what would we find?
  • DVD’s: The King’s Speech, Oceans 11, Lock, Stock & 2 smoking barrels, The Last samurai.
  • CD’s:  Linkin Park, Bob Marley, Matisyahu, Sting, Drake, Supertramp, Dr. Dre., Incubus, The Mighty Shadow.

What would you do if today was your last day?


With the loss of my wife last year, I decided to live every day as if it were my last.
I’m thankful for every second, and try to enjoy every minute. The only difference if I was sure today would be my last, would be that I’d be sure to bid farewell to loved ones. I missed that opportunity once…


If you had the choice, would you do it all over again? Change anything?

Yes, I’d do it all again, but naked.


Final question... what’s next for Antony Scully?

I’m at a huge forked intersection of my life. Options abound. Right now I’m prioritising. I see myself sharing my skills, shooting more overseas and becoming an even better photographer and person.










Contact:
Antony Scully
Scully Photography
142 Belmont Circular Rd.
Belmont,
Port of Spain

Ph: 737-4008
Email: antony@antonyscully.com
Web: www.antonyscully.com

Facebook: www.facebook.com/ScullyPhotography

__




Thanks very much for visiting my blog. I'm going to update this regularly, from my phone, computer...wherever...with stuff I'm working on, learning, sharing, and some of the numerous comical bits in between. It'll be fun!


So where did you learn about this blog?

1 comment: